Tuesday 11 January 2011

The life store.

I’m reading a book at the moment, called ‘Bed’ by Tao Lin. One of the chapters entitled ‘Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues’ tells of a character who suffers from social anxiety. He considers to himself when a girl he likes invites him bowling,

‘…was this how you went about getting a life? You went bowling, some things happened, and then, finally, you were awarded a life? [ ] People were always talking about getting a life, as if it were a store and it was just a matter of going there, picking one out. It annoyed Greg. Though in his sleepier moments, he believed in this store, understood that it was somewhere in Europe somewhere, or else deep in Russia. One of those two places. He’d sometimes wake up sad because the store was so far away. Why did it have to be so far away?’

I'm going to keep reading. Perhaps Greg will eventually find that store and tell me how to get there.

2 comments:

  1. Haah, I think I know the feeling. "Surely everyone must be somewhere right now, doing the getting a life thing". In fact everyone else is actually also sitting at home thinking the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big Yellow Van are by far the best removals/van hire company I have ever had the pleasure to use. They were fast, efficient and good value for money! I will be booking another van with them for my daughter when she moves house in August. Call 0208 150 0260 for a quote or visit www.bigyellowvan.biz for more info and prices.

    ReplyDelete